Ramapo College of New Jersey
Application to Petition for Participation in a Study Abroad Program not approved by Ramapo College
Ramapo College of New Jersey encourages all students to incorporate international experiences in their academic plan. The Roukema Center for International Education (RCIE) supports students in identifying appropriate international programs and facilitates their participation. RCIE, in collaboration with Academic Units and the Study Abroad Committee, invest time in the identification and approval of programs with high academic standards that are relevant to on-campus curricula and maintain high standards of practice in cultural immersion, health, safety and security.
The program that you have chosen to participate in is currently NOT an approved program by Ramapo College of New Jersey. Ramapo College reviews and approves programs based on standards of good practice in the field of study abroad. The program that you are interested in has not yet been reviewed and/or approved by the College. Therefore, in order to be approved to participate in this program, you would be required to submit a Program Petition. With an approval of your program petition, you would receive a multitude of services facilitated by the Roukema Center for International Education, such as:
- Comprehensive Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation & Re-Entry support
- Review of your program to ensure compliance with best practices in education abroad
- Enrollment in the INTD 011: International Academic Experience course which appears on your Ramapo College Transcript and counts as your international experience in your degree audit, if required
- Ongoing support from the Study Abroad Team pre-, during and post-experience (including cultural and emergency support)
- Inclusion in numerous programming with other study abroad participants
- And much more...
Given the breadth of RCNJ-approved study abroad offerings (well over 400), students are strongly encouraged to study through one of these approved programs. If you have a compelling academic reason, supported by your Academic Dean, to study through a program not approved by RCNJ, you may submit a petition to do so by following the instructions outlined below. A successful petition will clearly demonstrate the academic and cultural goals of the program, as well as a justification as to why none of the current approved programs meets your needs, academically and culturally. Please note, it may be necessary to collect additional information for program review, so it is essential you leave ample time when submitting your petition.
If you would like to attend a study abroad program not listed on the Approved Program List, you should complete the following information and submit your petition to the Roukema Center for International Education by the deadlines outlined below:
- Admission to the foreign university and/or program provider is independent of the petition process and is YOUR responsibility. RCIE will provide advice and, when possible and appropriate, may provide assistance with applications. You are responsible for paying any required application fees, deposits and tuitions direct to the university/program provider.
- To be eligible to study abroad, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completed a minimum of 2 college semesters
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Clean judicial record
- You will NOT be eligible for a Roukema Center for International Education Scholarship for a petition program
- Proposed study abroad courses are subject to approval through the “Off-Campus Course Approval Form” completed during the study abroad application process, which occurs after approval of your petition is reached
- You must follow all the Academic Policies of Ramapo College of New Jersey
The completed appeal must be submitted to the Director of the Roukema Center for International Education, who will forward it to the Study Abroad Committee for consideration.
If the program meets Best Practices in Education Abroad and you are approved to participate, you will then be given the next steps to follow (i.e., submission of a complete application packet, etc.).
This is an ad-hoc approval and does not guarantee future students’ participation in the program. If you would like to have this program included in the Approved Program List, then you are welcome to make that recommendation to the Director of the Roukema Center for International Education.
Please note that students requesting a petition to participate must also turn in a complete Ramapo College Application for Study Abroad by the designated deadlines for the specific term of study, in addition to their petition. Exceptions to this deadline will not be made. Since this is an involved process, students should begin working with our office at least a month before the deadline.
If the petition is granted, you may then proceed with the study abroad application process. Credits earned abroad are not guaranteed to transfer to Ramapo College without an Off-Campus Course Approval Form signed prior to your term abroad and you must receive a minimum of a ‘C’ grade in the course.
If the petition is not granted, you will be unable to access any of the services or benefits previously mentioned by the Roukema Center for International Education. Students can, however, provide a completed course approval form to the Center for Academic Advisement & First Year Experience (CAAFYE) who will determine your eligibility for credit transfer.
Alternatively, you will have the option of applying to another, approved study abroad program.
See Petition Chart (*.pdf) for further details on your options.
Petition Application Deadlines:
Academic Year Program
Fall Term Program
Spring Term & J-Term Programs
Summer Term Program