Roukema Center for International Education
Office of International Programs
CHINA: Culture, Business and Economics
- Location: Beijing and Shanghai, CHINA
- Credits: 4 credits
Minimum GPA: 2.5
Prerequisites: IBUS 321: China & Other Business Environments -or-
INTL 127: Introduction to International Studies -or-
IBUS 326: Fundamentals of International Business
*Minimum Grade of D and courses above may not be taken concurrently with IBUS 322.
- Disclaimer: All Ramapo College students in good academic and judicial standing are eligible. Students of other U.S. colleges or universities are also eligible.
The objective of this study abroad program is to introduce students to fundamental aspects of the business environment & China. This course offers a comprehensive overview of the economic and political environmental in China as well as an introduction to Chinese civilization, society & culture.
This program fulfills international experience requirement of the international business major and minor as well as the international studies major.
Course Description (IBUS 322)
Students will reside and visit two main locations: Shanghai and Beijing, two major cities on China's coastline. In each location, visits and guest lectures will allow the students to get first-hand contact and converse with members of the local and international business communities, officials, as well as Chinese students and academics.
Students will appreciate the specificity of the economic, social, cultural and political environment of China. Students will understand how China's recent economic and political history has shaped its society and current business environment for domestic and foreign firms; how foreign multinationals can negotiate in this difficult environment; as well as the opportunities and challenges for foreign firms in selected Chinese service and technology-intensive industries.
[ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS]
- Meet with Managing Director of an Foreign Investment Firm
- Learn about gender norms in Chinese business environment
- Visit a technology-focused incubator
- Observe issues of intellectual property in a local market
- Learn about the Chinese perspective in human resource management
- Learn about the business development process in China
- Explore the differences between public and private business environments
- Explore the Chinese food industry
- Learn about US-China trade relations
- Visit to a local elementary school
- Visit the Great Wall of China
- Visit the Olympic Village
- Visit to Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven
[ACCOMODATIONS & MEALS]
Students will reside in a centrally-located hotels. All meals are included.
Program fee: $3,275 (plus tuition*)
Program fee includes
: round-trip international airfare; comprehensive pre-departure and on-site orientation; health & security insurance; on-site accommodations; all meals; all excursions and entrance fees; and in-country program transportation.
Program fee does not include
: Tuition for 4 credits*; US airport transfers; personal expenses
*Please note, you will be registered for this course for the spring term. You are eligible to take a maximum of 18 credits each semester, so when registering for the Spring term, if you exceed the 18 credit maximum, you will be charged overload credit charges for each credit over. Therefore, to avoid paying additional tuition charges for the spring term, leave 4 credits available for this course. Note to non-Ramapo applicants, if you are not a New Jersey resident, then you will be assessed the out-of-state tuition fees.
|$500 Non-refundable Deposit
|Payment 1: $
|Payment 2 : $
|Payment 3 : $
: A late fee of $35 will be assessed for each payment not received by the payment deadlines communicated to you by the International Programs Office.
: There will be a 3-day grace period before a late fee is assessed.
Scholarships are available for eligible applicants: http://www.ramapo.edu/study-abroad/scholarships/
Dr. Huiping Li
Professor of International Business
[FOR FURTHER INFORMATION]
The Roukema Center for International Education
Ramapo College of New Jersey
505 Ramapo Valley Road - ASB123, Mahwah, NJ 07430 USA
Telephone: (201) 684-7533