Roukema Center for International Education
Office of Study Abroad & Off-Campus Programs
CHINA: Community Health & Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
- Term: Summer
- Location: Nanjing & Shanghai, China
- Credits: 4 credits
- Prerequisites: BIOL 111, BIOL 214 OR permission of the instructor
- Disclaimer: All Ramapo College students in good academic and judicial standing are eligible. Students of other U.S. colleges or universities are also eligible.
Course Description - 'Community Health and Traditional Chinese Medicine' (SCIN 290 / NURS 290)
This course introduces the students to both conventional and traditional healthcare systems in a metropolitan area of China, with emphases on the social and cultural determinants of health in the Chinese community, such as transportation, food, age and social habits.
*This course also counts as a substitution for 'Sociology of Health and Medicine" (SOSC 230)
[ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS]
- Visit Nanjing Medical University
- Visit Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Visit variety of Hospital types (public, private, community, and specialty) in Nanjing
- Lectures on Health Systems, Public Health Issues, Environmental Health and Health Practices in China
- Experience Chinese Medicine & Massage
- Cultural tour of Nanjing (Botanical Garden, Memorial Sun Yet-Sen, Zijin Mountain, Presidential Palace and more)
- Excursion to a Hot Springs community outside Nanjing
- Exploration of food culture, visits to market, tai chi and cooking classes
- Tour of Shanghai's important sites
[ACCOMODATIONS & MEALS]
Students will reside in a centrally-located hotels. All breakfasts are included, as well as some additional meals.
Program fee for NJ Residents
Program fee for non-NJ Residents
Program fee includes
: round-trip international airfare; comprehensive pre-departure and on-site orientation; Chinese visa; health & security insurance; on-site accommodations; all breakfasts and some additional meals; all excursions and entrance fees; and in-country program transportation.
Program fee does not include
: US airport transfers; some meals; personal expenses
| Application Deadline
| Commitment &
$500 Deposit (non-refundable)
| Payment #1: $
| Payment #2: $
| Payment #3: $
: A late fee of $35 will be assessed for each payment not received by the payment deadlines communicated to you by the International Programs Office.
: There will be a 3-day grace period before a late fee is assessed.
Scholarships are available for eligible applicants: http://www.ramapo.edu/study-abroad/scholarships/
Professor Yan Xu
Yan Xu is an Associate Professor of Biology. She was trained as a plant biologist but has adapted to the education missions at a liberal art college by creating various interdisciplinary and intercultural courses and programs. She serves as the conveners of Plant Studies Minor and Public Health Minor, and a founding member of the Food Studies Minor. Her elective courses, Food Studies (BIOL 346), Medicinal Plants (BIOL 347), Plant Physiology (BIOL 324), Epidemiology (BIOL 204), and Community Health and TCM (SCIN 220/NURS 220), have all focused on human-environment interactions and the well-being at the community level. She regards learning as a life-long journey, and visions herself as a facilitator for her students’ learning experience occurring both inside and outside the classroom.
[FOR FURTHER INFORMATION]
The Roukema Center for International Education
Ramapo College of New Jersey
505 Ramapo Valley Road - ASB123, Mahwah, NJ 07430 USA
Telephone: (201) 684-7533